Pitching and Catching

There was a softball friendly match in my school today. It was between my school and a good softball team from a nearby school. I saw my students (the girls) pitching and catching balls since 3.30pm. Yes, since 3.30 and the game might end around 6.

Under the hot sun, they practised very hard. The weather was not an obstacle for them to give their very best. I was stunned. I was once a student and I was once an athelete but to have games around that time were next to horrible.

I was sitting somewhere under a roof observing my students when a question hit me. What's the point of this? What's the point of having students bathing under the sun for the sake of ...? 

Are schools manipulating students? Are schools using students to get extra money to furnish their schools? Hurm.

If it is for students' health and stamina, we can have students having their matches at 5 when the weather is kind but not at 3. If it is for students' future, comeon, this is not a sport school in which every graduate will enrol in sports.

I dont know why the question hits me and why I produce questions instead of answers. But the incident does bother me.

Strive for the best but don't get killed. 

Popular posts from this blog

Parking Lot

Use Malay (L1) instead of English (L2) in English Lessons?

Nadia Anjuman