Thesis: Part 1

I never talk about my thesis kan? Since this is my final year in the UK, I got to do my thesis. How is it? It makes me feel miserable. It really is.

Frankly, I have decided on a topic which is not within my area of interest. Sound stupid kan? Memang pun. I am never good in SLA (Second Language Acquisition); an area which I have to understand and fully comprehend with the theories, ideas and issues related to learning other languages. I am never good in it and I never like it. Who knows exactly what is going on whilst someone is learning a language? I swear that learning SLA is something like learning chemistry in school. You have to understand it but you cant see it! No one can really show it to you. And yes, for my SPM, I got B for chemistry and that's the only reason I cant get the scholarship I wanted. Argh. I can almost predict what will happen next. Lalala~

So what made you decide on the topic?

Huh. The reason is I hate reading issues of Malaysian education. I find it funny and I can never understand what exactly is going on in some human's mind. The issue of PPSMI and MBMMBI, I can never stop thinking about them. First, how can you critically criticize the policy if you dont have any knowledge about the underlying principle of the policy? The same policy alike PPSMI has succeed in Germany and even Finland! Hello~ Finland. At times, some people should trust the government. It is not cool to always make critique when you dont know anything about it.

People want changes and the government makes changes. You curse the policy, you make riot, so the government gives you what you want; scraps the policy. It is very predictable that if you ask the government to scrap a policy, a new policy will be introduced. And hell yes, the government introduces a new policy called MBMMBI, and again many are not pleased with that. Some want a new type of school whilst the other refuse to work for longer hour. Hello~ This is the consequence of the things that you did. For those who ask the government to scrap PPSMI where the hell are you? When these things happen, where are you hiding? You should be responsible for this.

I am not a pro-government but I sympathize with them. They make effort but none appreciate it. So I make up my mind to find something good in the new policy, MBMMBI, and share it with someone I might know in the future. I realise that my thesis wont make any good to any one but I can prove to myself that there is something good about the policy. The equilibrium balance of teaching Malay or home language and English language will be very beneficial for students.


The sections of the policy which interest me are the Malay reading programs and the improvements of teachers' teaching strategies in both Malay and English language. I believe that there is a cross linguistic relationship in first and second language literacy development; reading in the first language might give an impact on students second language literacy development. Thus, this results me to decide on this topic;

Investigating the efficacy of Memartabatkan Bahasa Malaysia Memperkukuh Bahasa Inggeris (MBMMBI): With particular reference to the use of L1 skill on L2 reading competency. (Edited Version)

So,
wish me luck!

Luck?
Yes. I need sheer luck.

Popular posts from this blog

Parking Lot

Use Malay (L1) instead of English (L2) in English Lessons?

Nadia Anjuman